3.23.2009

Positives and Negatives

+ The sun finally deciding to come out last week and getting to play at the park by our house almost every day.


- It snowing today. Boo!

+ Annabelle finally going down the slides 'like a big girl' and not being a scaredy cat.


- Not being a scaredy cat can freak me out.

+ Having a fun holiday like St. Patricks day to celebrate. I made corned beef sandwiches, and green floats for dessert (hey my kid won't eat pancakes or eggs, let alone if they are dyed green, so I might as well make something Ross and I would like more).
- Corned beef, although tasty, still does not look appealing to eat. Also, kind of a + and - I had to buy beer for the recipe. I had never bought beer before so I was caught a little off guard when I was asked for I.D. (humorous). And then I spent a good half an hour 'Google-ing' to make sure the alcohol would indeed be cooked out and do no harm to our unborn child.


+ Hanging out with my 'former roommates' always means a good time. Especially when we had pizookies (a staple part of the diet in our apartment) with mint ice cream (St. Patricks Day) for dessert.


- Staying up until 11:30PM (I started late) making Andes Mint sugar cookies for Ross to take to work on St. Patty's Day. What is this?! Elementary?


+ The simplicity of childhood and how hanging out in a laundry basket with your cousin or some side walk chalk can entertain you for a long time. Also, pig tails.


- The use of side walk chalk ultimately results in a bath. And having to do my kids hair twice a day because she can't leave her hair done while she naps - hence her looking like a little boy (I realize the blue shirt doesn't help, but we were supporting our Aggies that day...also that games turnout was a major -)

- Coming up with titles and ideas for a post.

+ Eating these while doing it.

24 comments:

Susie said...

My + is being first to leave a comment on your blog. And - is not being able to see you all. Love your + and - list. Your corned beef sandwiches look yummy and so does your mint cookies. Thanks for sharing, Anna is looking darling.

Sarah said...

Cute post Megan. Maybe I should try to be more creative with my blog post but then blogging might turn into a big -. Anna's hair is so long. I totally know what you mean about doing hair twice a day. I pretty much only do it once so Jane only looks cute for one half of the day. Her dad never gets to see all our cute hair do's. Thanks for making me salivate for some cookies.

Sarah said...

Cute post Megan. Maybe I should try to be more creative with my blog post but then blogging might turn into a big -. Anna's hair is so long. I totally know what you mean about doing hair twice a day. I pretty much only do it once so Jane only looks cute for one half of the day. Her dad never gets to see all our cute hair do's. Thanks for making me salivate for some cookies.

Ty and Ber said...

I will have to turn one of your -'s into a positive. I am glad that it snowed again. We are taking our girls skiing this week and I wanted a little more snow. I did like having the warm weather and being able to play outside.

All the food in this post looked yummy. I am totally stuck on the pizookie though. There is something about ice cream when I am prego. LOVE IT!!

Heidi said...

Your titles and ideas for blogs are always a + I love it! I can't believe how big Anna is getting she is so stinking cute! I hope the sun comes out again soon, it was so fun to go walking with Houston every night last week!

Sara H. said...

Anna is getting too big ! As soon as it get's warm let's meet up at a park with Chelsie and Coop and play! I am amazed at all your cooking skills you are a great cook like Grandma H!

Niki said...

How was the corned beef with beer? Next time if you want to skip the hassle of getting id just put your corn beef in the crock pot with 1/2 inch of plain water and cook for 4-8 hours depending on the size and temp of your pot and roast. It is super easy and most of the time corned beef roasts come with seasoning packets. We do this a couple times a year. But yours sounds yummy, how did it turn out? How did you cook yours?

C and C Young said...

I miss Firehouse...good old logan--it had its fun parts. I'm uber impressed with your st patties day...I made green pizzas and the pics got deleted....probably best for all as they were pretty pathetic. That post was worth the wait--keep em coming.

Katie said...

I agree it's nice to have the kids actually play when they go to the playground now, but it is a lot scarier for the mom!
You should probably write down all the recipes for the food you show on your blog....it would be a really nice feature.

Megan said...

NIKKI - I cooked mine in a slow cooker and it included the seasoning packet too. It was really good and easy. The recipe can be found here: http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Slow-Cooked-Corned-Beef-for-Sandwiches/Detail.aspx

KATIE - I usually do include links to the recipes I use. However sometimes I forget (like this time, I will go back and change that) or I don't have a recipe because I just put stuff in as I go along and don't keep track, or my recipes can be found on a food blog that I am a part of (Delicious Dishes on my blog roll). Although, I haven't posted much there either. Okay. I will be better ;)

Jenny said...

Most of the +'s on your list that I too would find as a + were food related. You have lots of yummy recipes! I need to branch out and try new ones I think. That playground look like a lot of fun- nice that it's close to your house- bonus!

Tynel Jarnagin said...

Great post! You always make me laugh. I have secretly always wondered if the alcohol really cooks out too!

Brandon & Tiff said...

Cute+ and -'s! Your Andies Mint cookies look fantastic! Do you have the recipie for those? Yea for warm weather! Anna looks so grown up in that picture on the porch! What a cutie. You are such a good wife to make cookies for Ross to take to work. And what a cute St. Patty's day dinner...I thought of it, but didn't get around to it...I guess this pumping and feeding takes more time then I could have imagined..you know! See ya soon!

The Kippen House said...

Dang Mother Nature! I can't believe the difference between last week and this week. Boo!!! Anna is growing so fast, it's crazy! Looks like the house is lots of fun though. The corned beef really doesn't look appetizing, but cute idea for St. Patty's Day!

Anonymous said...

I make meatloaf that calls for beer and I don't drink, either. It always catches me off guard when I buy beer at the store to make the meatloaf. Thus, I rarely make meatloaf.

I enjoyed this blog, it was cute! I understand what you mean about trying to think of things to blog about. Recently I feel like I've had nothing to say!

Keep blogging. I enjoy how clever you are and I LOVE the pictures you post!

- Sarah

Ben and Melissa Ellis said...

I am impressed with your corn beef eatage (is that a word) on St. Patricks day? I stuck with the pancakes. I am also impressed Ross took treats to work. Was this a requirement or for fun? I didn't even recognize Anna with her hair all long in that picture. I remember when you were just able to get it in pig tails. I wish I still had some girl scout cookies left. That is a definite -.

Marie Rose said...

wow for having a hard time thinking of ideas to post that one was PACKED full! So I'm thinking you are going to have to drive to me for some baby clothes. I literally have 4 bins full (thanks to my sister-in-law) So lets make plans!

Jodi said...

Your post was a way fun idea. Your pizookies and cookies look yummy. I am also loving it when the weather is nice. Too bad we have all these wierd snowy/rainy/windy days in the middle. I am totally ok with people harrassing me into blogging more frequently, I think I need that sometimes. We will have to get together and talk dixie.

Chelsie said...

ah that makes me warmer just looking at those pics. thanks again for watching coop last night, coop was so happy when he came home, and pooped so he slept great. thanks again you're fantabulous

ashley said...

Loved this post! You are always so funny and clever. And for some reason I always get hungry after reading your blog...wonder why?

Carlee Hoopes said...

I'm so jealous you have that cute playground so close to your house. And those cookies look incredible. I want some. :(

Brooke said...

Yeah I think we missed the good weak for our play date. . . That is ok, there will be more soon! That pizookie looked amazing! (and easy I like that). I have pretty much given up on Syd looking nice all day. Two baths was too much so I just let it be, oh well.

The Davies Family said...

Ohhh girl scout cookies!!! I miss them..sigh.
Fun list of positive and negatives..hello can I spell today or what?
We are finally getting some nice weather..but now its getting cloudy and cold..alas..spring time in Western New York

Meg said...

I love that you always have yummy food on your blog man life must be good at your house to eat. I love the piggy tails so so cute. Go Anna on the slide that is awesome. And super yeah for sidewalk chalk also I love your house pics super cute.