11.10.2011

Since I've Been Gone

I hope you all now have Kelly Clarkson's song stuck in your head for the rest of the day. Muahaha. But seriously, at least it is better than her new song Mr. Know It All. I loathe that song. LOATHE.
I took my kids to the State Fair. They had a grand ol' time seeing the animals and playing at the farm exhibit.
But lets face it. The sole purpose for this trip was so Jenny & I could hang out and eat some fair food. I think bacon makes everything better. But twinkies? That are fried? That is just wrong!
But for some reason, I didn't think deep fried oreos sounded gross? Hmmmm. I just wanted to do my part to be American. Mmkay. The verdict? Meh. I think the batter was too thick and it through the ratio off. I wanted more chocolate flavor.
Anna started dance class back in September & was put in a class with the 3 & 4 years olds. Granted, she is 4...but still. She has always gone to church, school and played with older kids and I thought she might do better in the kindergarten class. I wanted to channel my inner 'Dance Mom' and demand I get my way (kidding) but after the first week, they actually moved her up anyway. Tear. So proud. She is loving it, but the way. Like that needed to be clarified.
I started to run 3x a week and even got up to running 10 miles on Saturdays (Yippee!). I had to take a picture of my 5k time to send to my brother in law to show him I was getting closer to a 20 minute 5k. (Go ahead and sing Your So Vain right now. Judge me) And then remind yourself that karma sucks because I have now injured my other leg/ankle and have had to limit my running...again.
which really puts a damper on my ability to eat things like this without so much guilt.
My friend and I are in charge of the book club in our ward & we read The Help. I was in charge of the desserts and wanted to make a caramel cake like Minnie's. Let's just say it was an epic fail. So last minute I made these caramel cupcakes. Also, note to self: take the picture AFTER you are finished decorating them & they are sitting pretty on the cake stand, instead of your cookie sheet.
Evan always likes to help clean up the mess :) I love the way he says 'dee-wish-us!' Anna; however, takes one lick and says, 'That is SO good. But I think I am done now. Can I have some celery.' Whose kids is she, anyway?!
Anna requested to be Sleeping Beauty/Aurora/Briar Rose (man, that chick has a lot of names) for Halloween and thanks to Jenny, I happily obliged.

One morning Evan woke up & after crawling into our bed, as he usually does, he said (very matter of factly) 'Halloween soon. Wanna be a fider'. I asked, 'you want to be a fighter?' And he yells, 'No! A FIDER! Scare ev-we body!' So a spider it was!
I have to tell this story, because I love it. Before we had found Evan's costume, we were at Target and I thought I would go check to see if they had any spider costumes (there are slim pickins of cute spider costumes. The only one I liked was from Pottery Barn and was sold out and selling on Ebay for $75. SEVENTY FIVE DOLLARS!) They only had Spider Man costumes. Anna tried to convince him to settle but Evan was adamant that he be a spider. Well we approach the checkout counter and this follows:
Cashier: Hello. Did you find everything okay?
Me: Yes
Evan: NO! No Fider costumes. Neva gonna find it! Neva eva! Wanna be a fida. Scare Ev-we-body. So sad!'
What?! I laughed forever about that. Thanks to Carlee and her neighbor we were able to use the fabulous costume above.

I gave Annabelle my old American Girl doll, Samantha, and one day she came and showed me this card she had made for Samantha for her Christmas present. Earlier that morning we had read the Fancy Nancy Christmas book and Nancy had made a card for her doll. Love her.
Old Navy had a stuff and save sale where card holders got 40% off. I usually avoid sales like this (how I LOVE internet shopping) because I hate crowds. But I thought since this was just for card holders, it would be less crazy. WRONG! I am half way through the line here and I am at the very back of the store. It wrapped around the place! I was in line for 1 hour and 15 minutes! Come to find out, my friend Carlee went to the same sale by her house and was in line for less than a minute. I friggin hate Utah County sometimes.
You may think, well why didn't you leave? Because I had clothes in my hand that were on clearance, so I got 40% off the sale price, then an additional 40% off that. I got button up shirts for my dad and Ross for $2.08. We won't talk about what I allowed my children to do while I waited in line....

Speaking of buying things. Anna has taken it upon herself to take pictures of things she wants with my the camera on my phone. At the end of the day I will find random pictures, like the one above, on my phone and she will tell me to put it on her Christmas list. Apparently Santa texts now?

14 comments:

Anonymous said...

YOU MAKE ME LAUGH!!! YOUR KIDS ARE DARLING.. SORRY TO HEAR ABOUT YOUR LEG/ANKLE. I JUST HURT MY BACK AND IT HAS TOTALLY SET ME BACK FROM RUNNING/WORKING OUT MAKES ME SAD! HOPE YOU HAVE A FAST RECOVERY.

Danielle said...

I want to hear what they did while you were in line.....

Your kids are adorable. And a spider! LOVE IT. He's backwards from Kai. Kai says "SP" instead of the "F" sound. So fan is "span" and funny is "spunny". It makes me laugh though. :D

The Goodrich's said...

Fried oreos? No thanks. But I would take one of those delicious looking cupcakes. They look great. As do your kids in their costumes. Love the spider!!

Heidi said...

Where have you been! It's good to have you back, I miss your posts, you crack me up the whole time I'm reading them. I was reading this while I was at school this morning and started laughing out loud during the spider story. My class was taking a test and looking at me like what the heck? Too funny.

Jodi said...

You make me laugh! And yes I do have the Kelly Clarkson song in my head but since it is 10pm it won't be in too much longer! Your carmel cupcakes were yummy so don't feel too bad that your cake didn't turn out. They also look good on the cookie sheet! I really think you could make anything and it would taste good.

Jordan and Erin Farr said...

I was just asking Jord the other day if he had heard anything from or about you guys. Your kiddos looked so cute in their costumes and they are getting so big! Your cupcakes looked delish!! Hope you're all doing great!

Deamers said...

Why didn't you just make a spider costume, that would have been way easy. P.s. The houndstooth coat is a hand-me -down from Heather's girls. (just like all of Rylee's cute stuff)

Lori said...

i'm impressed with your restraint at the fair. go you and jenny.

Stacia Cummings said...

Love that 5K time. Wish I could pull that off. Your kids are seriously hilarious. I think they are way to smart for their ages.

Haley said...

I love your kids. They crack me up!! Bummer, guess I should've come to Book Club. I guess I'll have to catch up with some cliff notes for the next book you're reading and make sure I'm there!

Poulsen Family said...

HAHA katelyn did the same thing, took pictures of the toys she wanted! and then she made me send certain ones to which grandma needed to get her that present! OH PS that house was buy one get one free at toys r us! Keep watching it, I bet they do it again! I got 2 for the price of 1!

Jenny said...

I was going to give you crap for taking so friggin long to update your blog, but I took like two weeks to comment...so hey kettle why are you so black?? :)

So agree about the, Meh, oreos and I'm glad Anna loved the costume! She looks adorable in it! yay for dance class too...although I'd love to see the "dance mom" in you come out. Ha.

See you bright and freakin' early to start off Turkey day!!

Melanie said...

Your kids are funny. I can't believe how big they are. Also I need your cupcake recipe because those sound so yummy. How come your leg isn't better? I am so sorry about that.

Brooke said...

Holy 21 min 5k!!!!!!! That sucks you got hurt, but I guess something's got to slow you down ;) that's amazing. I really want you to come make me some of those treats!