6.18.2008

Third Time's a Charm

Saturday we attempted another trip to the zoo. This time I was determined to actually get there! Well, Friday night Anna went to sleep just fine, but about 2 hours after she went to sleep she woke up coughing pretty bad and couldn't stop. In between coughs were little sobs...it was the saddest thing. I tried to comfort her, but as previously mentioned, she does not like to cuddle. So what is a mom to do to try and help her ailing child. Elmo to the rescue. We got the humidifier and the lap top and the combo seemed to at least calm her down enough to fall back asleep. But by then it was passed midnight and she woke up several times throughout the night.

By morning I wondered if we should even go to the zoo. But we decided that staying home would only make her more miserable, at least the animals would distract her...plus we were meeting some of Ross's friends and their kiddos for the afternoon.



We saw giraffes, tigers, elephants, monkeys...


the white alligator, rhinos, bears, etc.



We even rode the carousel (which she loved until it actually started moving and then she clung to me for dear life). So you would think a child like mine who loves animals would be in heaven.... but what she loved more than all the animals was all the water!


What a weirdo! Every exhibit we went to she would yell 'Water!' and point to it all excited. I guess at least some of them were conducive to her new obsession.


Splashing in the drinking fountain.


'Did you see that dad? This is so much fun!'



This was the best part of the whole zoo for her. She couldn't stop laughing.


By noon she was completely worn out and ready for her nap. It was starting to get hot as well and that wasn't helping the situation. So we packed up and left. She was asleep before we even got back on the freeway.


Maybe the third time we go to the zoo she will actually like it, maybe her idiot parents won't take her when she is sick (although she was more happy at the zoo than she was at home the rest of the day) .... or maybe next time I will save us $16 and stick her out back with the hose.


22 years ago. You might think this is Ross, but it's me...knee high socks and all.

20 comments:

Chelsie said...

Ha I love that she loved the water. She should come to the water park up here by us...there are tons of little waterfalls like that. Don't you have a picture of you in the lions mouth also? Hope she is feelin better!

C and C Young said...

I vote for the hose! Pocket that cash fast.

Heidi said...

I like the hose idea too! The zoo looked fun though, I can't wait till I get to take my baby fun places too, I guess that will be next summer!

The Goodrich's said...

Looks fun. We made it to the zoo last week too-Molly hated the elephants but loved the giraffes. I'm glad you finally made it!

Sarah said...

That is so cool that you have the same picture of you drinking water out of the lions mouth. I think it's just hard to do anything fun that cost lots of money when your kids are little. It seems like the window in between naps is so little for them to get your money's worth. Maybe that's just cause I'm cheap. Remind me to tell you sometime about my horror story to the Denver Zoo.

Carlee Hoopes said...

Huh, Anna sounds a lot like me. I have always had an unhealthy obsession with water. My favorite part of the zoo was the water fountain as well...and the swimming pool is the first thing I look for and the first place I go when we get to a hotel! It's an unhealthy obsession I think.

I think you're right, she would have probably been just as content in the backyard with a hose. :) I think we do things with our kids when they are young, thinking they will like them, but more often than not it's more for our benefit. At least that's been the case with me so far. It's good to get out with them though. :)

Anonymous said...

Ah I love it! I am sure she really did like it! I love the picture of anna at the drinking fountain I have a picture of Bradee at the same one to match the ones from when we were kids...Crazy it is still there!

Ben and Melissa Ellis said...

At least you got to get out of the house for awhile. Sometimes it is worse staying home when your kid is sick, or so I find. I love the picture of you at the lion drinking fountain. Don't we all have a picture of us doing this? Ah the memories. Annabelle is such a cutie. I want to take Logan to the zoo but I know he wouldn't care much about it yet.

10zfam said...

love the last picture with you at the zoo. that's awesome.

The Ballard's said...

I love the Lion pictures. I alway want to get one of my kids there too! I swear every scrap book has one of those pictures...mine even have the knee socks.

Cayde and Brianna Taylor Family said...

What a fun day. Sounds like our little adventures, First they are happy and then they are done. I love the retro you it's such a cute picture!

The Davies Family said...

Great pic of you in the end..how crazy! I love it! What a fun filled day of sickness and.. water? I love the zoo! hopefully she's filling better now.

Brandon & Tiff said...

Ha! That cracks me up. I am so sorry that Anna has been sick..no fun:( She is such a doll. I love the picture of you at then end...knee high socks and all you are still so cute.

heather bing said...

How do kids always manage to get sick when you have something planned? I love the picture of you, the socks are stylin!

Unknown said...

YEAH! I am glad you finally made it to the zoo. Sorry your little cutie is sick :( That picture of you at the fountain cracks me up!!! Where is your red hair?

Ryan said...

Nice! I love that you both have a picture with the lion drinking fountain. I'm so cheap that I would totally set up a water fountain in the backyard!

heather bing said...

Technical question for you, how do you carry water with you when you run? I went to the mile track today for the first time since the twins, and I was so pathetic! I only ran a little more than half of it, and now my legs are like jello! I don't know how I'm going to lose the rest of this baby weight at this rate. And I still have ALOT of it to go!!

Gage and Meg said...

I'm so glad you guys finally made it to the zoo; the last attempt had me rollin'! I love that last picture of you as a little one; that is so funny. Also, I can't believe it costs 16 bucks to go to the zoo; I'd stick with the hose next time too. :)

Susie said...

Cute pictures of the zoo. It is funny how kids love water so much. Get her a wading pool she would love it.

candice said...

I love the picture of you! HOw fun to have one of her and you in the same place!