Nancy and I got up around 5 AM so that Nancy could register, I could pick up my packet and we could get loaded on the bus. The drive up the canyon seemed to take forever and I was seriously worrying about what I had gotten myself into. It was a beautiful day, not nearly as cold up the canyon as I thought it was going to be. I met up with my 'former' roommate and running partner Stacia - we haven't ran together in a long time and I forgot how nice it is to have someone to run with. We had a great time talking and catching up.
The run was going great until about mile 5 when I could feel a blister forming in the inside of my right foot, just on the outside of my arch. Then about a mile and a half later I could feel one on the same spot on my left foot. Well, I knew it was going to hurt if I walked, hurt if I ran so I might as well stick it out.
Any who, Stacia and I continued on pace, well until mile 11 that is and Stacia got her second wind and I stayed behind ;) and she beat me by 1 minute 25 seconds . After the race I had a lady tell me she was pacing off of us and had fun listening to our conversations..hmmm good thing our conversations weren't of the inappropriate nature I suppose. Thanks Stacia - you helped me out a TON. I wish you lived closer so we could run together more often. I didn't really notice how bad the blisters hurt until I finished. I thought about taking pictures of the quarter sized blister, but lucky you - I didn't. Does anyone have any tips on preventing blisters? Should I just tape my feet beforehand?
My goal was to finish under 1 hour and 50 minutes and I finished with a time of 1 hour 43 minutes and 53 seconds. Wahoo! My brother-in-law and dad both finished the race with good times and survived as well. My cheerleaders - Anna's cheese in this picture cracks me up.

Anna and her cousins at the finish line.

Ross's siblings got me a massage for my birthday a while back and I saved it for just this occasion. After we got back to Ogden and I showered and ate lunch I headed off for the much needed massage - it was heavenly. When I left I was feeling much better than when I walked in. But as I was driving back to my parents house I could feel every muscle starting to tighten again - dang!
Well today my knees are a little stiff and I am sore, but it's all good. I did it and that is all that matters....right?!

29 comments:
Wow! I think you runners are incredible. Props to you for running a half marathon. I'm super impressed! And you did it all with some nasty old blisters. You're awesome! I wish I had some of you in me....
You are my inspiration Megan Dinsdale. So are you going to be racing anymore 10k's this year? I am looking to sign up for a race this fall, or early winterish to train for. I need some motivation to get back in shape and get this baby weight off(:
You brave and in-shape woman!!! I tried running with our jogging stroller about a week ago, and it was the biggest joke!!! i'd rather swim a hundred miles than run one! Way to Go!
Once again, you amaze me! you are so awesome, I can't believe you did it with blisters and all you are one tough girl! Before I know it you will be posting about the whole marathon that you I'm sure will run soon!
Wow I am so impressed. In the words of my mother you are brave, strong and true! Go Megan!
Way to go girl! I prevent blisters with moleskin. I need to get my butt in gear to run another marathon--it's been about three years! If you want to run the Disneyland half marathon let me know and I will be you running buddy. I always need an excuse to go back to SoCal.
ah i forgot you had your massage yesterday! i'm glad you enjoyed it. did you like the relaxation room with all the yummy drinks and what not!? i'm uber impressed with your running skills...and you did it in killer time ove! way to go you! hey are you coming to swiss days on friday?!
Post some pictures of the blisters.
Way to Megan!!! You had awesome time, I am way impressed...However it still doesn't motivate me to walk around the block, thanks for doing the exercise for me too...
Way to Megan!!! You had awesome time, I am way impressed...However it still doesn't motivate me to walk around the block, thanks for doing the exercise for me too...
Good job Megan! I'm impressed...I need to get my butt in gear and run I suppose. You and Lori both make me feel like I totally suck lol...maybe someday I'll be as cool as you guys ;)
That is awesome that you ran that! I so wish I could run. And how fun to get a massage out of it! Let's get a bunch of girls together and have a Spa day!! Sounds fun...if only I could afford it.
BARB - I have no plans for a 10k in the future, but if there is one you want to do I will definitely consider it ;) You just let me know!
DEANNA - I actually think of you and Keith and what amazing swimmers you are everytime I attempt to swim. If you could just help me in that area ;) I need some help, my swim times are awful!
HEIDI - I do not see a marathon in my near future...or future for that matter. Haha. Maybe it will change, but most likely I will stick to half marathon's or less. I don't know how people can run that far!
CASSI - I have seen the Disney Half Marathon and it looks like so much fun. I have actually told Ross I want to do it before. Isn't it in March? I can't guranatee I could do it next year, but maybe in 2010. Holy crap - 2010 isn't that far away anymore! What do ya say?
CHELSIE - Ross's work is changing buildings this Friday so he has the day off so I don't think I will be joining you at Swiss Days. I know. I am lame. I am sad of all the fun shopping I will miss.
BECKY - I think any get together with the girls again would be fun - but a spa day?! Ooh la la :) But I am with you - too much moolah (which is why I pretty much only go when someone has given me a gift certificate) We could always act like we were in junior high and give EACH OTHER make overs. LOL. That would be interesting and be worthy of being blogged!
You amaze me with all the running you do. Congrats on your marathon. I wish I could get myself that motivated to do that. I run but not that many miles. Cute pictures of you all.
You go. I need to get my butt on the move. I should just sign up for a marathon and then maybe ill get my butt in gear.
You go. I need to get my butt on the move. I should just sign up for a marathon and then maybe ill get my butt in gear.
uber lame...we would probably be done and back from swiss days before your husband even woke up :-)
Megan,
I am impressed....we really need to become running partners!
megan you amaze me, way to go. i have to endurance whatsoever. maybe one day. until then i'll just enjoy reading your stories
Dude you rock! You were totally under your goal even with lame old blisters. I think you guys should come out to Denver for the Boulder Boulder next year since it sounds like you are signing up for all your races.
Wow, way to go! I've never really found the idea of running for 2 hours that tempting...but it's awesome that you can do it!
Blister, yuck...I remember going through lots of moleskin when we were dancing...
One last thing-how was the massage really? I've never had one and I'm not sure how comfortable I'd feel.
You're my hero I look up to your desire to stay in shape HOWEVER I think I will start with a 5k, I don't want to push it. hehe
So, uh, I'm feeling super stupid that I couldn't make it around the block. You're amazing.
I've never had a massage. Is it weird being all naked and stuff in front of the massage lady?
dang girl, you are fast! Congrats on the half marathon, those are fun hu! I'm doing the TOU full marathon and am probably going to die. I tore one of my miniscus in my right knee and can't run as fast, so yeah, I'm trying to get under 5 hours...pathetic I know. Anyway, great job!
AMY - The fact you are even completing a marathon is amazing to me. I don't think I could run that far. Good luck with the TOU!
MEGAN & CARLEE - I pretty much ask for a massage from Ross every night so I like massages a lot :) I don't think it's weird being naked - I think that went out the door after having pushed a child out with 10 people watching. LOL. Plus they only oncover the limb and/or area they are working on at a time - everything else is covered. And they don't unconver your lady parts so eh...I don't care. They say to get undressed to what you feel comfortable with so you could wear your underwear I suppose. And I always make sure that I get a lady to massage me. I may be comfortable, but I am not THAT comfortable...and neither is Ross. haha. Try it! You know you want to!
You are SO awesome! I seriously could never run like that. Good job on your time!
I love massages! I don't even run and I like them. I bet they feel really good if you have run that much as well. Good job again. Keep running them to make up for my lack of running k?
So what's next a marathon? I mean come on, why not?
That is awesome you did it, you breezed through that story and made that run sound EFFORTLESS! blister-shmister, no pain no gain baby! You are my idol..although I probably will never run a marathon, maybe a halfie, right now I am prepping for an 8K 'Turkey trot' yeah that's what its going to look like when I'm out there running..bet you didn't know they name races after me did you?
I saw a lot of people running that race I should have looked closer if I'd known you were running it. We had breakfast at my bishop's house and he lives right on hollow road or whatever road you ran down in Nibley. I could have thrown food at you while you were running by!
Post a Comment