9.15.2008

Utah State Fair

Saturday morning we went to the Utah State Fair before the fair would be no more. This post really made me want to go because of the 'Little Hands on the Farm' exhibit; I thought Annabelle would enjoy it. But first a picture for you Carlee, not a single person in line...granted it was 10:30 in the morning, but it was at the fair so that shouldn't really matter.


At the "Little Hands on the Farm' exhibit each kid gets a basket and goes through a 'course' in which they do chores you would find on a farm to collect items to put in their basket, like...

picking apples from a tree. I think this was her favorite to do, don't ask me why, but she 'picked' apples off the tree and I would put them back and she would pick them again.


then you planted a seed in one side of the sand box and walked around the other side to pick what you had just grown to put in your basket, in her case, a tomato.


Your were supposed to milk a fake cow, but the whole concept freaked her out and this is her running to Daddy to protect her ;) haha.



Collecting the eggs from the chicken.


Putting gas in the tractor and pulling the hay.

Ross had to help because her short little legs couldn't reach the peddles.

There were lots of other 'activities' and then at the end she emptied her bucket and they gave her a fake dollar for all the 'work' she did to spend in their store. Where you put all the stuff away a banner was hanging for my uncles farm - shout out! When I saw it I was said to the kid working (like he cared) 'That is my Uncle! (pointing to the banner). To which Ross said sarcastically 'Maicee (the little girl in the picture, actually my cousin's daughter) is your uncle?' Such a friggin smart alec!



They had tons of treats, cookies and crackers in the store you could buy with the dollar and my kid wants an apple or milk?! I wouldn't think she was mine if I didn't give birth to her and she didn't talk so dang much. She settled with some strawberry milk. All in a good days work.

The rest of the fair was good too. Annabelle liked to see and pet all the different animals, including sheep, pigs, cows and the like. What I don't get is she won't even attempt to milk a fake cow, but she was stand next to this 9 foot one?


and try to feed another?When Ross was going to school people would often ask what he was going to be when he 'grew up' and he would always respond with 'a race car driver.' Yes people I married a 10 year old. So Ross spend a good half hour ogling this car and getting all the specifics on it from the guy showing it. And it kind of looks like Anna is throwing a tantrum in this picture (which wouldn't be surprising) but really she is signing 'car'.


At lunch time they had a tiger show that Ross really wanted to see - the tigers were huge!

but I could care less because it was lunch time, which leads me to the entire reason why I wanted to go to the State Fair.

That's right people - for a deep fried Peanut Butter and Jelly sandwich!


When standing in line I thought am I really going to do this? Then when I got closer to place my order I could smell the deep fat fryer and I seriously started to dry heave - it brought back so many memories of working at 'Mini Mart' on 2nd street. Normally the fryers don't smell that bad, but I am guessing they haven't changed the oil since the fair had started 10 days prior. But I did it. I got one anyway!


And it was good! The peanut butter was all warm and gooey and the little drizzle of chocolate syrup was a nice compliment. After the tiger show was over I see Ross walking towards me with a grin on his face as he said 'So I take it it was good?'

I looked down at my empty plate and said 'Yeah. There wasn't a whole lot of jelly though, mostly peanut butter'

Ross: 'Like that would bother you'

Me: 'Yeah, it didn't'

They also had deep fried Twinkies, Oreos, and Snickers. I really wanted to try the Snickers, but there was no way I could justify eating a deep fried sandwich for lunch and a deep fried candy bar for dessert. Has anyone else tried them? Would they recommend them?

On our way out they had this booth that looked like someone had robbed the dollar store and Anna saw one of these and fell in love with it. It was $2 and you can tell. The fabric is inside out so the lettering can only be read from underneath the umbrella and she has already broken it a couple of times. But she hasn't stopped playing with it - opening and closing it over and over again. This is her spinning around with it before she went to bead the other night.

Any who, sorry for the long post. We had such a good time. Hopefully you all went or, I guess now that the fair is over, you will go next year. If nothing else but to people watch and eat fried foods :)

34 comments:

C and C Young said...

It looks like you guys had so much fun--jealous. We were going to go to the fair, but didn't quite make it this year. Last year it was kind of lame (I was ornery, though, being 5 mnths preg), so we didn't try too hard to make it but it looks like we missed out. Also there was no deep fried peanut butter and jelly sandwhich last time so that probably made it totally worth it--I really wanted to try that out. I hope the Kettle Korn business picks up...poor clampitts...Maybe they should deep fry the popcorn and smother it in chocolate--hmmm..interesting

C and C Young said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Natasha said...

Sounds like so much fun! I'm sad I missed it. Maybe we will make it out next year.

Natasha said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

Like I always say, you just can't go wrong with PB and chocolate.....it just would have been better with some nutella too!

Carlee Hoopes said...

Oh wow, thanks for the pics! Now I understand what my Kettle Korn neighbors mean when they say business has been slow. Those blasted deep frying booths must be taking all their business! Dirty Dogs!

Oh boy does that PB&J sandwich look heavenly. We may just have to conduct our own deep frying fest. What do you say? My mom has a deep fryer. If we can find a really good batter recipe, we can get all sorts of things like twinkies, candy bars, etc. to fry up. It could be fun...and vomit-inducing, but it might be worth it! :)

Also, have you heard of that place in SL that makes hamburgers called Chubbies? The buns are deep fried cheese sandwiches! So you have a deep fried cheese sandwich, the meat and condiments, and then another deep fried cheese sandwich! HOLY CRAP!

Jaclyn said...

where was the kids exhibit. we didn't even see that and reese would have loved it. dang. maybe next year. looks like you guys had a lot of fun. the fair rocks!

Jaclyn said...

where was the kids exhibit. we didn't even see that and reese would have loved it. dang. maybe next year. looks like you guys had a lot of fun. the fair rocks!

Chelsie said...

check you out sporting your new hat...i love it..it looks good on you my dear sister. the fair looks like it was a blast! i'm still sad that i didn't go...but i did paint my table instead...not nearly as fun. if i would have gone we could have split the sandwich and a dessert...then we could justify it to ourselves that we only ate half right...next year for sure.

Jenny said...

That pb&j looks deadly...oh wow. I enjoy funnel cakes a great deal, and I've always been intrigued by deep fried twinkies. I guess I need to get a deep fryer and try all of these things- my ateries will thank me I'm sure!
It looks like Anna had so much fun at the little farm. Maybe we'll go next year when Addie is old enough to play with that stuff :)

Jenny said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Jenny said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Jenny said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Jenny said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
The Goodrich's said...

Ugh, all that deep-fried stuff sounded pretty gross to me...I'll just take your word for it that it was good! The all-you-can-eat ice cream was way better!

We didn't do the Hands-on thing but it looks fun!

Gotta love those $2 toys...it seems like they are always the hit at our house too.

Susie said...

You guys have way too much fun. Anna looks cute in the farm pretending to be a farm girl. The food looks tasty and gooey. Love the yellow umbrella looks like she is ready for some puddle jumping. Love the blog, way cool of Ross wanting to be a race car driver it not to late he still can right?

Megan said...

CARLEE - I have not seen thoe hamburgers - they sound disgusting though! I hate grilled cheese sandwiches. Melted cheese makes me gag. Have you seen the cheesburgers that are served between a sliced Kripsy Kreme donut for the bun? Also doesn't appeal to me, but I just thought maybe people might be having a contest to see how many calories they can cram into a typical meal.


I am thinking Blogger is having some problems with being slow to post comments (I was having the same problem on others' blogs) and that is why there are so many repeated/now deleted comments ;)

Heidi said...

what a fun day, ive never been to the state fair, but after reading this we must go next year! Especially for all the yummy food, we are the same!

Becky said...

I saw those deep fried PB&J's on the news the other morning. And I thought they would be SOO good as long as they didn't have very much jelly! YUM! I am so jealous of you and your deep fried feast.

Deamers said...

I didn't know the fair was fun, it's a deffinate plan for next year. We had had deep fried snickers, we did it ourselves. Because,not like this is shocking but we have our own deep fryer. They're ok by the way. Speaking of twinkies, it is super good to roast them in a fire. It makes the outside all toasty and the inside all gooey, yes i know you're drooling.

Deamers said...

I didn't know the fair was fun, it's a deffinate plan for next year. We had had deep fried snickers, we did it ourselves. Because,not like this is shocking but we have our own deep fryer. They're ok by the way. Speaking of twinkies, it is super good to roast them in a fire. It makes the outside all toasty and the inside all gooey, yes i know you're drooling.

Deamers said...

I didn't know the fair was fun, it's a deffinate plan for next year. We had had deep fried snickers, we did it ourselves. Because,not like this is shocking but we have our own deep fryer. They're ok by the way. Speaking of twinkies, it is super good to roast them in a fire. It makes the outside all toasty and the inside all gooey, yes i know you're drooling.

Danielle said...

Looks like fun!! I've seen the commercials for it, and the deep fried P,B&J....that looked GOOD!!!! I'm glad you tried it for me!! ;)
I was thinking of your last comment about 9-11. I had almost forgotten about Jake getting arrested! Holy cow....I kind of miss that kid!!

Barb said...

I wanted to go to the fair too! John wasnt so keen on the idea though, so we didnt end up going. Deep fried snickers? I would have tried that one for sure! Good to know the pb&J was good, maybe next year I will try one. That lil' kid display looks awesome too, I bet AUstin would have loved it.

The Ballard's said...

I wanted to go, I can't believe I missed it. I am glad you had such a good time.

Ryan said...

Mmmm...deep fried food. Reminds me of 3 for 1 corndog runs. I can only imagine how good a PB & J would be. Didn't know you could deep fry chocolate though.

Lori said...

i was about to say, ryan, i had no clue you could deep fry snickers. that sounds really nasty yet reallllly good. hmmmmmm.

Unknown said...

Looks like you guys had TONS of fun! Love all the cute pictures. I am SO glad that you got to go. The Tigers were cool huh? I need to try the snickers bars next year, they sound WAY good ( I am not a huge pp&j fan.)
Love her cute outfit by the way! :)

Tara and Ricky said...

That looks like a party! I wonder if/when Arizona has a state fair.... If they do, it should be in January or something so that people will actually show up. Anyways, that sandwich looked delicious and I definitely think you should have gone for the Snickers!!! I wouldn't judge you:)

Stacia Cummings said...

I totally wanted to go to the fair but we didn't make it this year. I'm glad I could live it through you.

Melissa McFadden said...

To be honest I've never really wanted to go to the fair. But now I do! It made me hungry and I like to see the biggest animals on display.

Marie Rose said...

I would totally do another triathalon if it was an indoor swim. Sign me up for the St. George one next year. During the swim the sent all the girl off at once and then sent the boys off in incraments after us (called the equalizer) anyway, the boys would literally swim over you if you got in their way AND there were huge waves coming into the marina. It was death! lets get together and train sometime.

The Wilson Family said...

Oh man Brennen would have loved the farm!! He would've been one happy boy!

The Davies Family said...

HOLY COW!! that's all I have to say about that