10.28.2008

Happy Halloween!

I like Halloween - I mean a holiday that is devoted to candy eating..how could I not? Not to mention this year I found the cutest little butterfly to take trick-or-treating with me.


She has some pretty cute lil' buddies too. We got these pictures done at Kiddie Kandids a while back and it was quite the experience. Getting four children, who were all apparently super hungry at the time, to smile AND look at the camera at once? Enough said. If you are dying to hear a full recap, you can read my sisters post
here.

Last Saturday some of our friends threw a Halloween party. We were supposed to dress up, but Ross and I are lame and can never think of anything clever and/or easy and cheap to dress up as. Any suggestions seeing as how Halloween is still yet to come and we still have some more parties to attend? I hate being a party pooper. I hope I made up for my lack of Halloween spirit by bringing these.
Of course I stole the idea from Bakerella, here. Hers are much cuter, but they were still a hit. The kids especially loved them. I only attempted the pumpkins and the werewolves as I didn't really want to buy a butt load of stuff and let's face it, the other stuff looked way more complicated than what I can do.


This is the best idea I could come up with on how to get them there. I didn't think styrophoam would look so festive. Ross had fun drawing the faces on the pumpkins. You can't see it in this picture, but he drew one that had blood dripping from his mouth....yyaaahh. Also, I couldn't find a black edible ink pen anywhere. Maybe people are hoarding those too. Does anyone know where I could find one cause I think they would have looked better with black faces.
Also, while I am pleading for help left and right, a lot of my pumpkins cracked after cooling (the chocolate shell, that is) does anyone have any tips to prevent this from happening? I was quite sad when it happened and almost didn't want to take them. Then I remembered mostly chillins would be eating them and what do they care? High sugar content? Check! I think that about covers it.

25 comments:

Becky said...

Oh, she looks SOOO cute! Those pumpkin pops look way yummy too.

The Ballard's said...

Yep, I don't know anything about baking, but I look at your blog & it makes me wish I did. Anna is so cute, I love the butterfly costume. I read Chels post awhile back & cracked up. Those days at Kiddy Kandids are too much. Oh yeah, I am kinda using "Utah's Hoarding" problem as an excuse. You know that you covenant to share all that you have to offer....so I pretty much have no worries...Those who horde, if they are truly following Christ will have to take care of me. I can't even feel bad, they bought all the rice. Oh, justified peace...

C and C Young said...

Yours turned out way cute. I got an "edible pen" at hobby lobby. Also, bakerella said sometimes the chocolate cracks if there is any water at all in the chocolate....I took the lazy way out and used a microwave instead of a double boiler--waaaaay too involved. Oh, and I went the WT way and used a styrofoam strip...lame...Anyway, those pics are way cute...I need to get those done as well.....

Cayde and Brianna Taylor Family said...

I can't beleive how talented you are. What cute pops! Speaking of Halloween parties. We are having a party this weekend at Ben and Ashleys on Saturday at 5:30..I think. Anyways you and Ross and that sweet little butterfly need to come. Chaps coming, Jordan can't cuz he'll be down in pangquich but Lot and Tiff will be there and Shelly and Dopp. It will be fun!

Barb said...

Those pumpkin pops are darling! After reading the recipe, do you think I could do the same thing but with the oreo truffle candies on a stick? Maybe I will try that one out. I will have my friend Tara invite you to our recipe blog. I want to see some more of these fabulous dishes you come up with!

The Goodrich's said...

Your cousins picture turned out so cute! We tried that last year for Christmas and it was a nightmare...we ended up doing 4 individual shots and doing a collage.

Way to go on the cupcake pops...there was no way I was even going to try them! They looked way too complicated for me!

P.S. I dressed up as a black cat...I know lame, but it didn't cost anything!

Chelsie said...

barb, the ones that i made were oreos, so they work just as well....mine didn't end up cracking...so it must have something to do with the freeze right after thing or something...who knows. yours turned out way cute! i love the faces, and that ross got so into drawing them. on the today show yesterday they had a list of last minute cheap ideas....go here to see http://today.msnbc.msn.com/id/27402278/

Lund Family said...

You are just so darn crafty. Annabelle looks darling in her Halloween costume!! So cute! I haven't been to the shade store in a while. I did go when I first started wearing Maternity clothes and got a few things, but I haven't been recently. I know they still do their Half Yearly Sale online so you might want to go to shadeclothing.com and check there. They do have some things on sale here, but not many. Let me know if you want to me to stop by and check. Did you have anything in particular in mind? We are coming up there for thanksgiving so let me know if you want me to grab you anything.

Jenny said...

What a CUTE butterfly!! That's so darling! Those pumpkins are cute too. If you can't find an edible pen, you could do black food coloring in some icing if you have a cake decorator and draw them on that way....not sure about chocolate cracking...
As for costumes, I can't think of anything too creative. Do you still have your Roswell outfit? ;)

Anonymous said...

You are so crafty.. you make me look bad! I am so not creative like that. Your little girl is so cute it will be a fun Halloween to take her trick or treating... have fun!

Sarah said...

Cute Costume! You could always dress up as a hobo. That is cheap.

Susie said...

Love Anna's butterfly costume too cute. She will have a great time trick or treating and all that candy she gets. Love the pictures of the all the cousins together a precious picture. You did an awesome job your pumpkins to fun. I'll have to give them a try as I'm always looking for something new.

Heidi said...

your posts are always good for a laugh, I can just hear your little sarcastic voice in my head whenever I read them! Nice suckers, you and chelsie better start a business!

Carlee Hoopes said...

Ok, first of all, Anna looks adorable. Second, your pops look amazing. I wish I could hire you to send me some of everything you make for a monthly fee. :)

Brooke said...

Where did you find that butterfly costume?! I have looked EVERYWHERE for a costume for Syd, and by the time I decided I wanted to buy one I couldn't find a thing! She is a pirate princess, poor kid! Brian and I usually dress as wakeboarders or surfers seeing as all we need is boardshorts and a rash guard. And, I found something that might work for the picky eaters. I am using ideas from the Deceptively Delicious cookbook, and last night I made my own home made spaghetti and pureed Squash and threw that in, she LOVED it! But spaghetti is her favorite anyway. . .

Deanna said...

WHat a cutie!!! Ryan and I and Tanner and Taylor are goin as: respectivly, The dog who chased the cat who chased the mouse who lived in the pumpkin. I just put my cat ears and tail on and I felt like a playboy bunny...I gotta make it look more innocent, since we're going to a ward party on Thursday! AHHHH! Good luck with your costume!

Deanna said...

WHat a cutie!!! Ryan and I and Tanner and Taylor are goin as: respectivly, The dog who chased the cat who chased the mouse who lived in the pumpkin. I just put my cat ears and tail on and I felt like a playboy bunny...I gotta make it look more innocent, since we're going to a ward party on Thursday! AHHHH! Good luck with your costume!

Tynel Jarnagin said...

You are such a gourmet! I love the pictures you take of the food you make! Very cool!

Anonymous said...

Oh my gosh! I can't believe how clever you are! I love the pumpkins. Your pictures are SO darling!!!

Natasha said...

She is so cute! The cutest butterfly I have seen. :) Is Halloween just so much fun with kids? It's so fun to dress them up. Those pumpkin pops look awesome. I had to add bakerella onto my page. Such good recipes.

Stacia Cummings said...

What a darling little butterfly! Lovin the pumpkin pops. You never cease to amaze me with your domestic abilities. Why didn't that rub off on me when we lived together?

Unknown said...

I am totally gonna try and make those pumpkin things tonight. Yours are way cute. I LOVE LOVE Annabelle's costume. She is so dang cute!

C and C Young said...

The yogurt in the crockpot was SO easy...here's the link http://crockpot365.blogspot.com/2008/10/you-can-make-yogurt-in-your-crockpot.html
Anyway, next time when I make it for myself I'm going to use skim milk...you just add a think of gelatin or powdered milk to make it thick.

Kourtney and Nathan said...

Annabelle is so cute!! I love Halloween and everyone's costumes!!

Kourtney and Nathan said...

Annabelle is so cute!! I love Halloween and everyone's costumes!!