While on the phone with my mom she mentioned the 'rice shortage' that was going on. Well Ross and I eat a lot of rice - seriously, almost all of our meals include it - so it is much needed. Any who, my mom was at Costco and she looked for rice. None. She checked her local grocery stores for any rice to buy for me and NONE. People must have heard about the 'shortage' and rushed to buy all they could.
So my mom calls her sister who lives in California to see if there is rice there. Of course there is! Why wouldn't there be?! My aunt was flying to Utah that weekend so she bought 8, 5 pound bags of rice and hauled them to good ol' Utah. 2 weeks later there is rice on the shelves and it has never disappeared again. SO weird.
This story brings me to my next dilemma. Have you heard about the pumpkin spice Hershey kisses? They are a limited edition and only sold at Target and they sound delicious. After seeing this post and recipe, it only furthered my desire to try them. So I go to my local Target and they are all out. I asked the employee if they would get any more in and he didn't think so. Boooo! Why wouldn't they get more in if they have 2 huge empty bins and they keep featuring them in their ads?I called my mom and expressed to her my disappointment. So on her way home from an appointment she stopped at 2 Targets to see if they had any...nope.
I called the Orem Target and got this reply 'No.'
I called the South Town Target and heard 'No. I hope we get some cause someone calls and asks about them every 5 minutes.'
I called the West Jordan Target and the lady sighed and said, 'No. And don't bother calling any other Target in the state because they are all out too.'
Well that would have been helpful about 5 stores ago. LAME! How can all the Target stores in the state be sold out. I got online to research the matter and this is what I found (click here). People are selling this stuff on EBAY!
Flash forward to the next day when my mom is talking to her sister in Cali and is telling her of our problem. She lives by a Target said she would stop by and see if they had any. And...? They DID! 4 huge bins full. Jigga what?! Stupid Utah. So my wonderful Aunt Nan shipped 16 bags of Pumpkin Spice Hershey Kisses directly to my mom's door.
I made the cookies, although I could not find coarse sugar for the life of me (maybe people are stocking up on it as well - who knows?!) so I had to use this. It worked for the 'crunch' but it definitely wasn't as pretty.

I love fall. I love pumpkin. I love sugar.

29 comments:
Ha! That post cracked me up! I had no idea about the rice shortage and those cookies look great. I too love fall, sugar, and pumpkin! That pumpkin cheesecake yesterday was soooo good! Also your shoes are even more adorable in person and as soon as I am not pregnant and off balance I'm going to have to try and pull some high heels off...even though I don't know if I can. It was fun to see you guys yesterday hopefully we can all get together soon with our husbands too!
ha! You should sell those cookies on eBay and see how much they go for. Those hersheys kisses sounds like my kind of candy. I now know why I have never seen them this season cause obviously they are no where to be seen. I totally know what you mean with the Utah and hording thing. I drove to Reams to get some flour yesterday and lo and behold there's none. I luckily found one small bag of bread flour and said what the heck and bought it. Is there a difference between bread flour and regular flour? Yikes, I sure hope my Sunday cookies end up tasting decent. Do you like how I leave comments as if I am having a conversation over the computer with you? haha I'm lame. Good to see you the other day. I felt like I was in heaven talking to someone without having a baby to tend to every minute. Is there someone else that can get married so I can have a break like that again?
That sounds sooo freaking good!! The whole state, huh??? Even down here in St. G?? I might have to check anyway....those cookies look amazing!
I bought some of these back in September and practically ate the whole bag, have they had any more since then..NO! I've been pretty upset too, I mean who doesn' want all that pumpkin-y delicious-ness? And now that you've posted this recipe..I now have another reason to lure you down a dark alley with a cuddly rabbit..this time I will walk away with more than your diaper bag..but since you love these pumpkin kisses..you better carry EVERY SINGLE BAG with you WHEREVER you go..that way I know you have them and I can take them every chance I get..oh and would it be too much to ask to bring those cookies oh and some milk..but not 2% I'm trying to watch my figure...
Ok, I have a lot to say about this post. First of all, Utah does hoard. People hear of a shortage and they stock up for their food storage. Also, I totally noticed the rice shortage as well. It scared me for a second and then I remembered that Kory and I never eat rice. Like, seriously, maybe 2 times a year I may cook up some rice for something. We're noodle people. Now if the noodles were disappearing off the shelves, I would panic. Also, I TOTALLY wanted to try that recipe as well. I bookmarked it and wanted to make it sometime this week but I kept neglecting to get the kisses. I guess it's a good thing I didn't waste any time looking for them. I really wanted to try them...but, sadly, my mom doesn't have a sister in CA that can ship us any, so I guess we'll have to go without. Wanna ship me some of your cookies? They look yummy! I'm thinking we need to get together again because Chelsie asked about the Stroop Wafels on the top of my blog. I can have Kory stop and get some for our next party and you can make something with your pumpkin kisses or your CA rice. I feel bad she had to lug that much rice all the way to UT. How sad.
so how were the kisses in the cookies? did they taste better? i was thinking of making some for our halloween party tomorrow, since mom has a few extra bags! maybe you should tell people if they really want to make these cookies they can buy a bag from mom. :-)
Wow- your mom and aunt are SO nice to do all that for you! But come on, pumpkin spice kisses?? Ew! :)
your post is hillarious! you know you could start a business where your aunt ships stuff here and you sell it, because apparently it's just a Utah thing, not surprising. Those cookies look yummy once again!
EVERYONE - My mon meant to say to my autn get $16 worth of kisses (which would have been 8 bags - 4 for her, 4 for me) but instead said 16 bags. Whoops! So if someone wants a bag, I know where to get you some and the cost would be the $2 a bag.
BECKY - Booo! Pumpkin Spice Kisses are bomb diggity!
CARLEE - The waffel on your blog makes me hungry every time I see it too. I think we should definitely plan another gathering of sorts and I will bake whatev. Hmmm. Maybe we should do it before the crazy holiday season. Your thoughts?
DANIELLE - Try the Target in St. George. I don't know if the mean lady included it in her 'utah' stores seeing as how I am not sure if people would drive that far to pick some up. Then again, I had some shipped from Cali...so you never really know! LOL
CHELSIE - I really liked the cookies, although I think I would have liked them better with the other sugar. Ross actually like them a lot too and people at his work gobbled them up (not sure if that says a lot though seeing as how boys will eat most anything). I, unlike you, like the kisses just by themselves as well though.
I am laughing my head off!!! Like the time we ate all those skittles till we puked grey sugar! Okay, sorry that was grotesque! Anyways, that was hilarious!!! Good for Aunt Nan. Those cookies look so good!
How yummy! How did they taste??? I am jealous will Jane sell me a bag, I am truely drooling!
I think you need to come up one day this week and make those cookies for me! I will find the right sugar for you, DEAL? The thing is MOM is a perfect example of the Utah Crazy Hording! Are you coming up on Halloween?
You are not Lame!!! You live far away I know! but now you have an excuse to come see me when he is born!
You are not Lame!!! You live far away I know! but now you have an excuse to come see me when he is born!
I haven't been a victim of hoarding, but I totally understand your frustration--at costco they had signs for a while limiting people on how much rice they could take. I have "rice" issues--the texture freaks me out, so I wasn't too upset. If it's on the news it's almost guaranteed everyone in Utah will want it. I want to try those cookies so badly--I usually defer to the pumpkin cookies made with the cake mix that was all the rage last year.
YEP!! They had them at the Target here!! WOOHOO. I only bought 2 bags, but I plan to make those cookies this week now! They are pretty good!
Those hershey kisses sound wonderful. I am going to have to go bake me up some pumpkin spice cookies seeing how I won't be able to get any hershey kisses. I totally think Utah has a hoarding problem. Perhaps since I didn't grow up in the church I don't get how to do the food storage thing so I am not very good at hoarding. I love that Botan rice? It is way better than other rice. Ben loves rice and we eat it once a week at least so I hope they dn't run out of it!
Megan you are so funny! I love the post. I have heard anyone use the phrase "jigga what" in a long time and I live in vegas! I think I need to use it more. I am totally going to target tommorrow and see if they have those hersey kisses. Yum!
First of all I agree with the whole hoarding thing. I too have found missing items on the shelf. As for past posts. I love your red shoes...totally jealous. So Cute! And the pumpkin carving looks like a lot of fun. I'm going to try it with my boys. Hopefully they'll like it as much as Anna.
Wow, now you're one determined girl on a mission! Don't get in the way of you and your rice/kisses! Haha, but the outcome looks yummy! Glad you've got a Cali hook up...I gotta find one of those...
Random question...so I gave Maddux some yo baby yogurt and he was totally fine with it and a few weeks later I decided to give him some 4% cottage cheese--that's all I could find. His face broke out in spots, so I figured he was allergic to it. Do you know why he would be allergic to cottage cheese and not to yobaby? I want to make my own yogurt but am not sure if he will be allergic to it or not...I'm sick of forking out the dough for yobaby. Any advice you could offer would rock.
How good do those look, SO GOOD. I can never find any of the good kisses. like the White Chocolate with the mint. Oh my good.
mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm
Those pumpkin cookies look so yummy and very fall. That really must be a Utah thing we have not had a rice shortage or candy. My mom is a good sister and auntie to do that for you guys. Thanks for sharing love your blogs. You are way to determined then I am I would of gave up after 2 stores.
I remember the rice thing a few months ago. People went crazy about a rice shortage which DIDN'T EXIST. I've never heard of those hershey kisses you were talking about but now I want some! haha. You cookies look delicious!!
i heard about the rice crisis... we never had it... but i am with you. i totally love rice. we have over 50 lbs in my rotated food storage... i am glad you were able to get some. those cookies look so good. when did you become such a cook? Sorry i never answered your question i am bad at that too. i got her dress at kohls. and my email is candicerichards@gmail.com no big deal about the recipes if you do or do not have them. i just am trying to please my hubby. he loves thai and i am not the best cook... anna looks cute as a butterfly. so sweet.
That's crazy. Utahns and their food storage, eh? Who knew it would be rice and pumpkin hershey kisses. Which sound delicious. I think I need to find some. Even just to make those delicious looking cookies. Your blog makes me hungry very often....
I had no idea there was such a Hershey's Kiss. Now you have me curious! I'll have to go to Target tomorrow! Maybe I'll list them on Ebay and all the Utahn's who are trying to stock up will buy them!
We experienced the rice shortage here in TX too though. There was rice, but each store set limits on how much you could buy!
I'm Carlee's mom. The rice shortage hit Las Vegas too. We couldn't find any for a few weeks. The pumpkin kisses sound great. I'll have to track them down here in Vegas.
Post a Comment