- I want this election to be over with.
- I thought my purple toe nail was finally starting to heal, and then it fell off Saturday - all of it. Now my husband can't look at my feet. I feel like some sort of mutant.
- How does Anna know what to say in certain situations? The other day we were at the mall and she wanted to go up the escalator, so we did. At the top she sighed, looked at me and said, 'Phew! We made it!' Where does she hear this stuff?
- A Paradise Bakery just opened up by me and I want to go eat a dozen cookies all by myself.
- I don't always watch 'The Biggest Loser' but I do like it. Last night I found myself watching it since it was on pretty late and Anna was in bed. I don't know why but I couldn't stop laughing when Jillian said, 'I have been nice this season. It makes me want to puke all over myself, I have been so nice.'
- My brother is getting married this weekend (hence the purchases I wanted above) so we are flying to Arizona on Friday. That is right people. All of my family will be attending, including 4 children (3 of which are under the age of 2). I think this article about sums up how I feel about it getting there.
There needs to be a word for babies that aren't really babies anymore: Nine to 12 months, when they can't walk or talk, but they can stay awake for hours, pull a shelf of books down on their heads and stick their finger in electric sockets. I vote for "Destructo." Our boy hit the Destructo phase six weeks ago. He used to be the easiest, happiest kid! He could play with the same toy for an hour. He could sleep in restaurants or be smuggled into movies. No more. Now he gets his kicks from sticking his face in a dog bowl, or opening a drawer, pulling out all the clothes, then opening and shutting it until he slams his finger.
You don't want to travel with Destructo. We flew cross-country two weeks ago and I am still drinking two glasses of wine every night to recover. OK, three. All right, it's a whole bottle. It was just me and him on the way back. Think about holding a 25-pound fish that's wiggling to get back into the ocean for six hours as the fish emits bloodcurdling screams and you're stressing that everyone hates you. Does that sound like fun? The one silver lining was the 12 different times we went to the bathroom. Destructo really liked the sound the toilet made when it flushed so I kept flushing it even though I was probably harming the atmosphere. When toilet flushing is the highlight of any trip, you know you're in trouble.
Some tips if you're ever on a plane with me and Destructo. First, don't empathize by telling me, "I know how it is, I just flew with our baby for 12 hours, although he slept the whole way." Great! I'm glad your perfect kid slept the whole way and mine didn't! UP YOURS! Second, don't say, "Don't worry about us, we're used to this." What does "this" mean? Being tortured? Just read your Vanity Fair and shut your piehole. Third, don't keep glancing back sadly like you feel bad for me! Just don't! Fourth, if he falls asleep, don't walk by me and say loudly, "He finally fell asleep, huh?" Unless you want a dirty diaper stuck in your carry-on bag. Fifth, if you're the pilot, don't interrupt us every few minutes because you're excited that we might get in four minutes early, or that we're flying over the Grand Canyon when it's pitch-black. You're lucky that door was locked. And sixth, when it's over, don't pretend that Destructo was good as I'm holding clumps of my own hair in my hands and staring into space like a mental patient.
Here's what you can do: If you're the flight attendant, keep bringing me wine like the nice lady did throughout our flight. I don't know where you are, honey, but thank you again! And thanks for not judging me as I stumbled off the plane like Heather Locklear. No jury would convict me.
Only my kid CAN walk and talk...a lot. Which in her case and for everybody's sake on the plane might be worse. Plus I won't be using alcohol as a means for mentally escaping the situation. I am glad it is a short flight. Anyone who has flown with a child who won't sit on their parents lap for the life of them...any tips?

34 comments:
that sucks you couldn't get those shoes. they are dang cute! have fun at the wedding.
Good luck! I have no experience in this arena...although I just got back from a trip to Yellowstone where Molly was stuck in the car sear for hours on end. She's talks non-stop and the only thing that made her stop and take a nap was her binky. You might want to think about giving that back!!
One thing that worked well was using the lid of a box that Molly could sit on her lap and she was able to play Play dough, color without her crayons falling everywhere, and drive her princess cars all over the lid.
Maybe a portable DVD player?
We flew to Mexico when Baylee was 1 years old. My advice would be snacks,book,if there is anything she likes to watch bring it! Baylee loved that Mickey Mouse clubhouse show. But the good thing is she did sleep a lot. Be prepared for anything and hope for the best! I am crossing my fingers for you.
i LOVE paradise bakery cookies! so yummy!! also is it weird that one of my friends is flying to arizona for her sister-in-law's wedding? i would laugh if it was the same wedding. i doubt it though since she has to wear blue and those items were red.
I drugged Gracie up & she still yapped like Joan Rivers the entire flight. When they turned out the lights to put down the landing gear she dropped like a rock. I carried that girl across the length of that airport twice with blisters between my toes due to the brand new flip flops. My advice, send Ross & Anna on the plane, tell him you forgot something. Catch the next flight. Send Ross with some plastic diaper sacks for the inevitable poopy diaper he will have to change in the confined quarters of the lavatory. Her head will be touching the door and her bum will be right up against his chest & then to top it all off, he will have to carry that crappy diaper in your designer diaper bag until he gets off that flight. If you do decide to go with them, never mind drugging the kid, drug yourself!! GOOD LUCK!!
P.S. my condolences on the shoes. So very sorry. They were fantastic & every girls dream come true!
That article is hilarious...well now it is. Ask me the first time I take Addie on a plane and I may feel differently. I have no advice on this subject...but the flight is short luckily! I bet she'll be better than you think :)
Have lots of fun- even without the WAY CUTE shoes. That's just mean that they toy with us like that huh?
Have fun this weekend, it will be fun to be with your family in Arizona for the week! Good luck with the flight, I don't think its gonna be that fun, good thing its not very far!
haha, i'm laughing so hard at angela's comment right now, yapping like joan rivers. flip when the flight attendants come by to ask for a drink, i might get something hard, like a soda...blah! i'll bring moms dvd player and maybe our laptop too....so they can have their own....lots of food and books...ah i don't know...i'm looking forward to reading this comments myself
Oh, Heaven Help you on that plane!!! We drove to Keith and Tricia's wedding, and I'm sure glad we did
(all 36 hours of it!), cause we could ALL screem and yell at each other without snippy passengers giving glances...and we could drop the dirty diapers in the nasty garbage cans to match at rest-stops. Never mind the nastiness - we're just glad we're all alive after that feat! Good Luck! And tell Justin Congrats from us!
my suggestion? take LOTS of treats and toys in a big pack back. distract, distract, distract. :) luckily it's a short flight so you wont' have to worry tooo much about nap time.
ps, The Biggest Loser is one of my favs, welcome to the dark side!
Have fun this weekend. I think to prepare you for the trip you should go and get those cookies and gorge yourself.
Megan,
Came across your blog and I have a great idea for you. A bunch of ladies in my ward are putting these activity bags together for our toddlers and we got the idea from a lady that was taking her daughter on a plane ride. They are kept together in small ziploc bags so they could totally go in your carry on. If you hit the dollar store you could totally find this stuff in like an hour. Search for activity bags or check out the following sites:
http://www.redshift.com/~bonajo/preschool_activities.htm#Dolly,
http://thesunnypatch.blogspot.com/2007/09/activity-bags-for-preschoolers.html,
http://chasingcheerios.blogspot.com/2008/08/new-spin-on-toddler-activity-bags.html
GOOD LUCK!
Shauna Read
Good luck on the plane. The only thing that saved us on the ride home from Germany were toys that the boys had never seen before. The newness entertains them for a while...oh and stickers. This was their first experience with stickers and they loved it. So good luck with that. I am so glad I'm not in your shoes. Have fun at the wedding though :)
i have to laugh cuz you think a trip to arizona is bad... well i flew by myself to delaware with my three year old. that was his first flight and he was ok on the way over, but man coming back was a freaking nightmare. he kicked the seat in front of him. he had like four poppy diapers in the six hour flight home and pretty much cried the whole time. so pack treats,books, movies, crayons, paper, diapers, wipes, maybe something for her to suck on while the plane is taking off and landing. or like a sippy cup with stuff in it. that's what hurt jaxon the most. but good luck i hope it all goes ok. let me know if you have any other questions.
New toys, lap top movies, Benedryl, strait jacket . . .
I wish you best of luck in your travels. It is not easy traveling with little ones. Hopefully she will fall asleep for you,but that probably won't happen right? Make sure you go and get something new that she hasn't seen or played with before and it usually holds there attention for awhile. Also bring food, toys etc. I wish we could be there with you all for Justin's big day. We send our love and best wished to all of you and look forward to seeing pictures. Tell everyone hi for us especially Justin.
I wish you best of luck in your travels. It is not easy traveling with little ones. Hopefully she will fall asleep for you,but that probably won't happen right? Make sure you go and get something new that she hasn't seen or played with before and it usually holds there attention for awhile. Also bring food, toys etc. I wish we could be there with you all for Justin's big day. We send our love and best wished to all of you and look forward to seeing pictures. Tell everyone hi for us especially Justin.
So that plastinates thing was pretty weird to look at, happy anniversary? ok, whatever works :)
Yeah I agree with that article though about a name for kids 9-12 months..seriously by then you are COUNTING down the days to nursery..only H is going to give us a hard time, she's too attached to me.
Megan- You are hilarious! That is all I have to say-
Oh, and, Benedryl works wonders for little kids on planes! No allergic reaction necessary- Sadly, I am quite serious and used this method once when traveling from Boston to Utah with a 4 year old and a 13 month old, by myself!
That is hysterical! You made my day! I flew by myself with Dayton when he was about Anna's age. My tips are: Buy her a new toy (treat, activity, book, etc.) that she's never seen before, and pull them out if there are really hairy moments. Try to get a window seat. Luckily with my flight this big black dude sat next to me and entertained Dayton the whole time (he'd never seen anyone black before and was fascinated) So that was nice. Just be prepared with lots of distractions and treats. Good Luck!!
Oh and I'd avoid the benadryl advice, with kids under 6 it tends to have the opposite effect and give them extra energy. But there are other drugs if you want to go that route.
Luckily I didn't have to look like the mean mom snapping pictures of my kid while she's being traumatized, my mom came and did it for me! Have fun in Arizona!
You crack me up. OK, and I totally can sympathize with the toenail thing. I had ALL my toenails fall off during one of my high school cross country seasons. So gross!
Oh P.S. the check-out Nazi was SO true to form... I love that you understand. I finally had to just decide that she could keep part of the deposit because no matter how clean we got it, it wouldn't be good enough. I hated her for a few days over that crazy letter she sent about unscrewing the toilet to wipe excess urine...my husband is not five, seriously.
You crack me up. OK, and I totally can sympathize with the toenail thing. I had ALL my toenails fall off during one of my high school cross country seasons. So gross!
Oh P.S. the check-out Nazi was SO true to form... I love that you understand. I finally had to just decide that she could keep part of the deposit because no matter how clean we got it, it wouldn't be good enough. I hated her for a few days over that crazy letter she sent about unscrewing the toilet to wipe excess urine...my husband is not five, seriously.
I HEART the second street house....I miss the alien.
I also hate online-only stuff. Lame!
I hope your airplane ride turned out!!! I remember coming home from Vegas with Maggie in June was awful. That's when we decided to leave her home when we went to San Fran. Anyway, you won't get this till you're home, so hope everything went well!
I hope everything goes smoothly this weekend. I can't wait to hear about your trip!
I told you your toenail was a gonner. Mine has never been the same after the half marathon and wasatch back. It hurts in certain shoes. And you totally should have called us when you were going to body world cause we are so close. Ty volunteers there so we got free ticket to go, but haven't gone yet. He said it wasn't that exciting for him. After spending the first summer of school his own cadaver he said it was stuff he's seen, but the bodies there were in much better shape than any cadaver I've ever worked with I'm sure. It's always the really old or really sick in my experience. Good luck with the plane. I'm totally one of those people that complain about babies on planes.
Sometimes I think I want, or am ready for kids....then I read stuff like this....I don't want the dirty looks if I can't control my kids! :( I want GOOD kids....I bet I won't get that with a husband who hypes kids out and has ADHD himself.
Hey how do you put when people updated their blogs?
You came to Arizona and didn't call me? What is up with that?!!! I mean, I understand that you were busy with wedding stuff, but come on.... shouldn't your friend Tara take priority over your brother? Ha ha! j/k! I hope your trip here was fun and not too stressful with Anna. The weather was nice, and I heard it snowed in Utah.... Ya, winter time is going to rock out here!
My aunt the nurse encourages benadryl in these cases, we were just talking about it today!! OH OH your father in law came up to me today in church and said, 'did Megan talk alot in high school??' and I laughed and said 'yes she's not motormouth for nothing!' and he chuckled and replied 'my granddaughter is going to be just like her!!!' It was funny!!!
My aunt the nurse encourages benadryl in these cases, we were just talking about it today!! OH OH your father in law came up to me today in church and said, 'did Megan talk alot in high school??' and I laughed and said 'yes she's not motormouth for nothing!' and he chuckled and replied 'my granddaughter is going to be just like her!!!' It was funny!!!
Post a Comment